Sunday, July 12, 2020

Strawberry Shortcake

If you read my last blog, you know it's strawberry season and I scored 48 pounds from the local grower. I made several batches of strawberry filling and have been finding all sorts of yummy ways to use it. I had planned on canning most of it so I would have strawberry filling all year. At the rate we're eating it in my house, I'm not sure I'll have much to preserve.

But there are so many wonderful recipes to try! When I came across a recipe on Facebook for white cake from I Am Baker, I immediately thought of strawberry shortcake. It was perfect!



I make a white cake following the recipes exactly and stopped short of frosting it. When it was cooled, I cut it into 9 squares. Each square would be one serving.

I cut each slice horizontally, and to be extra decadent, I spread a layer of white chocolate pudding and topped it with the strawberry filling. I replaced the top of the cake, added more strawberry filling and a dollop of whipping cream. Voilà! Strawberry shortcake!

Check out the cake recipe from IamBaker:


Originally from iambaker.net
From I Am Baker
Prep 15 minutes
Cook 38 minutes
Total 53 minutes

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup (113g) butter, softened
  • 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup (123g) whole milk, room temperature
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1/4 tsp. pure almond extract, optional
  • 1 1/2 cups (180g) cups cake flour
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 4 (120g or 4 ounces) egg whites, room temperature

Instructions

  1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare 8x8 square pan with butter and flour or baking spray.
  2. Beat butter at medium speed with a hand-held mixer until creamy, roughly 3-4 minutes.
  3. Gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy.
  4. Stir together milk and vanilla. (If you are adding almond extract, add it here)
  5. Sift together flour and baking powder; add to butter mixture alternately with milk mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition.
  6. Beat egg whites at medium speed until stiff peaks form; gently fold into batter. Pour batter into prepared pans.
  7. Bake at 350° for 35-38 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
  8. Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes.
  9. Optional: Cover with white frosting.

No comments:

Post a Comment