Thursday, July 9, 2020

Exciting New Directions

Isn't it exciting when you feel invigorated and motivated in a new direction? Especially when you feel like it's been a tough road getting there.
I’ve been absent from this blog for quite a while, but now I’m ready to start sharing again. Sometimes there are events in life that take us by surprise, and we must readjust. Other times, it’s a matter of choosing a path and direction for life. I had been struggling with that some last year, and then had one of the most difficult experiences to overcome - the passing of a loved one.

I treasure my Icelandic heritage and love writing children’s stories based on Icelandic folklore. I’ve had a wonderful time traveling with my mother to Scandinavian festivals and sharing the Icelandic culture through our books. But I wanted to explore new challenges as a writer. My greatest desire was to focus on novels, specifically women’s fiction. My first book blended my Icelandic heritage with a modern-day storyline based in America.

I was searching for a way to balance these loves, trying to decide if I had to choose one path of writing - novels or Icelandic folklore - or whether I could continue with both. I started working on a series of four novels based in the American West but introduce aspects of Iceland into each. While working on those, I also spent time with Mom, helping her with a new memoir-style book she was writing. Her story followed one year from her 93rd to 94th birthdays, where she set a goal to have 93 new life experiences. It was a fun year for her and those that followed her adventures on social media. So much so, that when the year was finished, people asked, “what now?” So, I suggested she put the experiences together into a book so that her message could reach more people. It was a simple message, but powerful - Just keep moving.
 
That year of new experiences finished up with her birthday in May 2019. We started working on the book a few months later. We weren’t in a rush to finish and enjoyed reliving the memories as I helped her organized the book. She continued to travel and always welcomed new experiences, relishing each day. In September, we spent several days together and made great progress on the book. We were optimistic that it would be complete by Thanksgiving. But life is fragile. On October 9th, after returning home from a long weekend trip visiting family, she suffered a massive stroke which proved fatal.

It was difficult for me to continue on and complete the work without her, but I had made a promise. A promise to Mom that we would finish her book, but also a commitment to myself that I would follow her example and be a second-generation life adventurer.  I wanted to share her philosophy, one that had become part of my own life outlook, and keep encouraging people to keep moving and continue enjoying life no matter what their age. I enlisted the help of an expert developmental editor who helped me create a motivational book to share that idea.

Next month, Hekla Publishing will be releasing two new titles and both are available today for pre-orders:

https://www.heklapublishing.com/bookshelf#ulELPS


Never Too Late, a journal-style memoir following the year-long adventure of 93 new experiences of Ieda Jonasdottir Herman between her 93rd and 94th birthdays.

On With the Butter! Spread More Living onto Everday Life, a motivational gift book that offers a wide variety of activities and challenges, along with inspiring and heartwarming stories.

I chose the unusual title based on an Icelandic expression Áfram með Smjöri - on with the butter - which means to ‘carry on, keep doing what you’re doing, forge ahead, or keep moving.’ It seemed perfect for the idea I wanted to share. Mom would have loved it.

I’m excited about these new books and have created a Facebook group of the same name, On With The Butter, (https://www.facebook.com/onwiththebutter/) for people to join and share their own stories of life adventure, movement, and encouragement.

I’m still working on that new series of novels, but I’m also going to be posting more of my personal adventures - large and small - to encourage everyone to live life to the fullest. Let’s adventure together!

On With the Butter!

No comments:

Post a Comment